Skin texture is a measure of how our skin feels. Good skin texture is soft and smooth to touch, whereas a bad skin texture is rough and uneven. Our face skin texture is something that is very easy to notice and it can often let us down. Hence it is quite important that our skin is properly taken care of.
Let us focus on some of the scientific facts related to our skin. Our skin is the largest organ and a vital one too. It serves as a protective barrier for all the internal organs of our body and is also the first line of defense against bacteria and other organisms. It regulates the body temperature and also protects us from the sun’s ultraviolet rays that have a damaging effect on the cells. Healthy skin, when exposed to the sun produces Vitamin D, and we all are aware of the importance of Vitamin D for many of our body functions.
Some other interesting facts about our skin:
- Skin accounts for 15 % of our body weight.
- The Skin has at least five different types of receptors that respond to pain and touch.
- Skin renews itself every 28 to 30 days.
- The skin releases as much as three gallons of sweat a day in hot weather.
- Skin is home to more than 1,000 species of bacteria.
- Skin, if severely damaged tries to heal itself by forming scar tissue.
Since our skin plays a vital role in the maintenance of life and health, taking care of it becomes a big deal. Isn’t it? And who would not like to have healthy and glowing skin; after all, it adds to our personality and makes us feel loved.
Let us first discuss the Problems of Uneven Skin Texture, its Cause and Effect
There can be many reasons related to skin texture. Some of them might be the following:
HyperpigmentationAn excessive building of dull skin cells on the surface of the skin caused by an excess production of melanin (melanin is a class of pigment responsible for producing color in the body). This can make the areas of the skin feel rough and dull. Another reason can be chronic exposure to sun rays, which can result in discoloration and change in skin texture. It can also damage the skin in a variety of ways, including dryness and sunburn.
Fungal or Bacterial InfectionAny cuts, scrapes, and other openings on the skin may lead to fungal or bacterial infection. This may result in a change in color and skin texture.
AgeingAgeing could be one of the causes of a dry, dull, and uneven skin texture. As we age, there is a loss of subcutaneous support (fatty tissue between skin and muscle) which makes the skin loose, wrinkled, and spotted. Factors that contribute to ageing can be stress, obesity, or even our sleeping habits.
Our Lifestyle ChoicesIt may also be one of the major causes leading to uneven skin texture. Too much of smoking or drinking, improper sleep, lack of work-life balance, poor diet could be some of them. Since there is an inevitable connection between brain and skin, any emotion can directly affect the skin condition.
Hereditary skin diseaseIt also affects our skin texture and makes it look rough and dry. The symptoms may initially appear in the form of dark spots, reddish areas which may be in most cases painless and even harmless, but in some rare cases, it may go dangerous, causing a lot of distress. Such symptoms can drastically affect the self-esteem of a patient. Once the cause of uneven skin texture is known, it becomes the first step in getting proper treatment and resolving it.
Healthy and Effective Ways of How to Improve Skin Texture
Food HabitsAll of us want rock beautiful skin so that our counterpart looks at us twice. Isn’t it? Well, healthy food is an answer to that. Including lots of raw fruits and vegetables in the diet, will definitely give us healthy and radiant skin. Our diet should include healthy fats and omega 3s. Yogurt also helps in getting flawless skin in no time. Spicy food, like hot peppers, chili powder should be taken in limitation, as it can trigger inflammation.
Drink Adequate WaterIt’s important to keep hydrated by drinking enough water to get that soft, supple, and glowing skin. Medical studies have proved that people can get amazing health benefits if they drink, 4-5 liters of water a day. Water keeps the skin hydrated and moisturized, preventing it from any kind of scars, spots, blemishes or pimples.
Use Vitamin CFood containing a high amount of Vitamin C-Kiwis, grapefruits, oranges, mangoes, spinach, etc. helps in the formation of collagen, which eventually slows down the appearance of wrinkles. It also helps create scar tissues and ligaments, and eventually aids in skin repair. It also boosts in the brightness of skin texture
ExfoliationIt is an important part of any skincare routine. A good exfoliant washes away all the dead cells from our skin. Regular exfoliation makes our skin look brighter, younger, and softer. It clears all the pores and even reduces the breakouts. However, it is important that it isn’t too harsh on our skin. It should be followed further by a nice moisturizer, to keep it hydrated. Pomegranate facewash can do wonders as the Pomegranate is a natural antioxidant that can neutralize free radicals and delay aging. You can also use Fig scrub which gently exfoliates dead skin cells, and gives our skin texture, a brighter and clearer complexion since Fig is a powerful fruit that contains powerful antioxidants too.
Protect Your Skin from Sun DamageWe need to cover ourselves properly if we step out of our home. It is important to reapply sunscreen, every 3-4 hours with SPF of 30 or higher. While swimming, the sunscreen should be applied every hour. The amount of time spent in sun between 10.00 AM and 4.00 PM should be limited. Sunscreen should not be exempted even if the weather is cold outside.
Healthy LifestyleAs mentioned earlier, our lifestyle heavily impacts our skin texture. We need not change everything regarding our beauty routine to get healthy, glowing skin. 7-8 hours of regular sleep, regular workout routine, or a minimum of 30 minutes of activity at least 5 days a week, brings a natural glow on the skin. It naturally reduces the skin’s signs of aging. Excess sugar, tea, coffee, smoking, drinking. should be laid off.
Be Gentle with Your SkinOur skin is sensitive, hence it should be treated with a lot of care. Blemishes should be treated quite gently, without causing any hurt to the epidermis. Medication should be applied immediately to avoid burns or any permanent damage. If the inflammation is deep, one should consult a dermatologist immediately.
Few Simple Tips for a Good Skin
- Replace all brands that contain harmful ingredients (Sulphate and Paraben) with the best products of good companies.
- Must use Sulphate and paraben-Free skincare products.
- Practice wearing sunscreen every time you go outside.
- Stick to a minimum of 8 glasses of water every day. Lukewarm water works wonders to your skin
- Say NO to sugar, as it is equally bad for body and skin.
- Natural phytonutrients from fruits and vegetables help to elevate natural beauty.
- Herbal Tea can fix your caffeine intake and also give your skin a boost as it detoxifies the body. Just try it.
- Avoid being nocturnal. Go to bed early.
- No matter what your skin type is, moisturize it daily.
- Stop touching your face frequently as you are unleashing harmful bacteria and germs into your pores.
- Take herbal supplements that are full of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals such as Ayurvedic Chyawanprash
- It is important that your skin breathe, so try going makeup-free as often as you can.
- Applying and massaging with good facial oils can prevent dryness and other skin issues.
- Having greenery in a home can improve the air quality, not allowing the pollutants to affect your skin much.
- A good face wash and herbal scrub should be a must in your kit, as they work to remove the dead skin cells.
- Yoga does wonders for the skin. Make it a regular practice.
Some Best Home Remedies for Improving Skin Texture
- Raw milk is the most easily available ingredient for clear skin.
- Honey is an excellent antibacterial that ensures a spotless complexion.
- Besan or gram flour is a natural exfoliator and removes dead skin cells.
- Due to its powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory qualities, turmeric helps in brightening and rejuvenation of dull skin.
- Yogurt is rich with a high amount of lactic acid and acts as a natural bleaching agent.
- One of the biggest home remedies for better skin texture is the use of cucumber.
- We can never forget the versatility of a potato. The juice from raw potato is rich in Vitamin C and has a mild bleaching agent.
- Aloe vera has an answer to all our skin problems. Its extract is said to increase cell turnover and remove dead cells.
- Papain, an enzyme present in papaya, has skin lightening properties. It also reduces blemishes, acne and scars.
- Homemade fruit packs made of banana, papaya mixed with cream works wonder for the skin.